(To download, view, and/or print the prospectus in PDF format click here.)
The following are the rules and requirements for entering the Tennessee Watercolor Society’s (TnWS) biennial exhibition of 2018. Please be aware that there have been changes to the exhibition rules so it is important to read them carefully before entering or framing.
The exhibition is open to artists 18 years of age and older who reside in Tennessee or meet the requirements of membership. The right for the artist to exhibit must not have previously been revoked by the Board of Directors. Each artist may submit up to TWO images, but only ONE is eligible for inclusion.
WORKS OF ART ELIGIBILITY
- Paintings must be original in composition / design and not copies of other artists’ work, including photographs by persons other than the artist.
- Only work in water-based media, executed in an aqueous manner, on paper, paper mounted board, or synthetic paper (ie. Yupo, Rock Paper) may be entered. (No water soluble oil or pastel products.) Aqueous manner avoids raised surface or texture.
- Any work executed in an instructional workshop is not eligible for entry.
- Collage elements may only be hand-painted papers completed by the artist, not to exceed 20% of total surface.
- No metals, gold leaf, 3-D objects, giclees, fabric or thread can be used.
- Copyright materials, photographs, machine or computer generated images are not eligible.
- All painting submitted must have been completed since February 2015 and not have been shown in any previous juried TnWS exhibition including online exhibitions.
- The Image size showing may be no smaller than 10” in either direction.
- Framed size is no more than 48 inches in any direction.
- Matboard must be acid-free, white or off white with white core. No color liners or fillets.
- Matting should have a minimum of 2″ around the painted image.
- All entries must be under Plexiglas (no glass), good condition and sized for the frame.
- Framing must be simple, unadorned wood or metal in natural, gold, silver or black and constructed well enough to withstand shipping and handling.
- Frame must be wired for hanging with the ends taped or covered and use flat hardware. (no sawtooth hangers or screw eyes)
The TnWS Exhibition Committee reserves the right to disqualify any accepted entry that failures to meet the above requirements or is of objectionable subject matter.
Suspension of membership privileges for one year or more can be enforced for the following:
- Failure to deliver an accepted painting.
- Submission of artwork other than the one that was juried into the TnWS Exhibition.
- Submission of a painting already accepted in a previous TnWS show.
- Submission of artwork not the original work of the artist.
- Violation of the Harassment Policy stated below.
“Any person who attempts to influence, intimidate and/or harass a judge, exhibitor, Board member, or exhibition committee member can be banned from the current show and from future entry into TnWS exhibitions by a vote of the Board. The juror’s decision will be final for the accepted paintings as will be the judge’s decision for awards.”
The Tennessee Watercolor Society and its officers, the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center (CHM) and its representatives and employees, and the representatives and employees of any Traveling Exhibition venues are released and discharged from any and all claims made for damage or loss of the painting while in the possession of TnWS, CHM or any Traveling Show venues. Each artist must carry their own insurance for shipping damage and/or damage during the exhibit.
RELEASE FOR USE OF IMAGES
Images of selected art will be used in the TnWS catalog, for publicity, for educational purposes and on the organizations’ websites at the discretion of the TnWS Board. No work accepted for the TnWS Biennial Exhibition may be withdrawn prior to close of the exhibit.
Entry Deadline: February 10, 2018.
TnWS members with dues paid for 2018 may submit up to two painting images with a non-refundable entry fee of $35. The entry fee for non-members is $70. Dues and the entry fee are to be paid by credit card online at www.tnws.org. No more than one painting per entrant will be selected for this exhibition.
After payment of entry fee, images meeting the following specifications are to be submitted by email to TnWS.email@example.com.
- Submit the highest quality image in JPEG format
- Minimum resolution: 300 ppi
- Maximum of 1800 pixels on the longest side
- File size not to exceed: 3 MB
- Crop out all matting and everything but the image itself
- Correctly orient the image as viewed, vertically or horizontally
- Rename the image with the artist name-title-size.JPEG (JaneDoe_title_10x12.JPEG)
TnWS reserves the right to reject any juried painting that is noticeably different from the JPEG image or does not comply with entry specifications.
- Paintings may be for sale or identified as not for sale (NFS).
- Paintings entered NFS will not be considered for any Purchase Awards.
- Price changes or NFS status of entries are not permitted following submission of entry.
- While the Customs House Museum does not charge a commission, allow up to 30% on traveling exhibition sales.
Shipped paintings are to be received at the Customs House Museum in Clarksville between May 1 and May 5, 2018. Hand-delivered paintings should be delivered on May 5, 2018.
Additional instructions for delivery of accepted paintings will be provided with the acceptance notification. Accepted paintings must be hand delivered or shipped in a reusable box via UPS or FedEx including PREPAID return labels. Return labels must include a bar code. The use of Airfloat or U-LINE boxes is strongly recommended. NO wooden boxes, NO screws or nails and NO peanuts should be used. DO NOT tape bubble wrap. Print your name boldly on the outer flap for easy recognition for re-packing.
Shipped/non-traveling paintings will be shipped back (date witll be announced). Hand delivered paintings can be picked up at the Customs House Museum on July 28, 10 AM to 1:00 PM..
The juror selects approximately 30 paintings from the exhibition to travel to other regions of the state and will end in Chattanooga at the end of October. When entering, artists are asked to indicate whether or not they wish for their painting to travel. Careful consideration must be given to this choice, as once the juror selects the entries, they cannot be changed. The dates and venues for the traveling show are published in advance of the entry process and should be reviewed by entering artists as the painting must travel the entire schedule. Artists who agree to travel should be sure the framing is not fragile and is in good condition.
Great care is taken to protect the framing but the artist must bear the risk of exhibiting their work under the published rules.
Tentative Calendar of events/actions:
- Workshop entry: September 1, 2017 for members
- December 1, 2017 for Non-members
- Exhibition Entry Deadline: February 10, 2018
- Notify of acceptance/rejection April 10, 2018
- Deadline to enter workshop and pay remaining fee May 1, 2018
- Receive painting, shipped May 1-5, 2018
- hand delivered May 5, 2018, 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Workshop May 7-11
Friday, May 11, 2018 – Evening Activities
- Dinner May 11 Smith-Trahern Mansion
Saturday, May 12, 2018- Opening Day Activities
- Continental Breakfast 9:00 – arrivals Conference room CHM
- Silent auction 9:00- 1:00 Conference room
- Vendor demos 9:30-11:30 Dining room CHM
- Light Lunch 11:30- Conference room CHM
- General Meeting 1:30 Theater CHM
- Reception/awards 3:30 Gallery CHM
- Public reception 5:00 Lobby CHM
- Exhibition—May 12 – July 27, 2018
- Pick-up paintings not traveling July 28 10:00- AM to 1:00 PM CHM